NEC REPUBLIC OF KOREA NATIONAL ELECTION COMMISSION

Serach

Press Releases

HOME News Press Releases

Press Releases
NEC Chairperson Noh Jeong-hee, Addressing to the People of the Republic of Korea

Date :02/15/2022Read : 164

The NEC determined to fulfill its constitutional duty of managing the fair election by standing strictly neutral

The Chairperson of the National Election Commission Noh Jeong-hee delivered a message at the NEC Secretariat in Gwacheon Government Complex on February 14 in an effort to fulfill ‘Beautiful Election of Participation, Fairness and Harmony’ for the 20th presidential election that will be held on March 9.

The message was prepared to show clearly the NEC’s willingness to manage the election in a fair and transparent manner as the election campaigning begins in a full-scale from February 15.

The chairperson mentioned that the election of this time is important in the sense that a leader who will be leading the new future of Korea for the post-COVID-19 era is chosen. She also added that the NEC will fulfill its constitutional duty of managing the fair election by standing strictly neutral.

Her full speech is found below:

Addressing to the People of the Republic of Korea in an Effort to Fulfill ‘Beautiful Election’ of Participation, Fairness and Harmony

(The 20th Presidential Election)

My fellow citizens,

The official election campaign period for the 20th presidential election begins from tomorrow.

The election this year is expected to be held in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic with sharply increasing number of confirmed patients.

A great number of people are suffering from the pain by the COVID-19 pandemic, and we also expect many difficulties ahead during the election campaign period. Even though it is the case, I believe now is the time that with proactive participation and attention in the elections can we all show what our country can do and the great hope for the future.

The NEC will thoroughly prepare the election to guarantee the voters’ right to vote, and do its utmost for the voters to participate without any inconvenience.

Furthermore, the NEC will create a safe environment by fully taking any disinfection measures necessary for the voting and counting process.

My fellow citizens,

The election of this time is important in the sense that a leader who will be leading the new future of Korea for the post-COVID-19 era is chosen.

The NEC will ensure that the election will be managed in accordance with law and principle, so that every single vote of the people is accurately reflected in the election result. The election procedures will be open to the public in a transparent manner.

I sincerely ask of the candidates to remain in a fair and square competition, appealing with the policies and pledges.

As for the media and civic organizations, they should help voters make the right choice by verifying the qualifications and capabilities of the candidates.

Voters are to cast their ballots after a thorough examination on the qualifications and capabilities of the candidates.

The NEC will guarantee freedom of political expressions for the people to the maximum degree to meet public standards and the changing era.

However, the NEC intends to deal with any serious election crimes that involve malicious slanders and publication of false information, and any acts of damaging public order of election including interference on exercise of electoral freedom.

My fellow citizens!

To move forward for the nation and social integration through an election, it is important to firmly have a proper culture of election practices based on public trust.

An election is a democratic process through which the diverse voices of people can come together and find better ways for life.

In that process, it is essential that voters and candidates should debate enthusiastically, but the fact-based criticism and mutual respect for each other should be maintained.

I expect that the candidates will accept the result of the election humbly, and can muster our strength together by conceding and embracing beyond conflict and confrontation that may come in the way of the elections.

The NEC will fulfill its constitutional duty of managing fair elections by standing strictly neutral.

Let us muster our strength with everyone’s participation, and achieve‘Beautiful Election’of participation, fairness and harmony.

Thank you.

Noh Jeong-hee

Chairperson, National Election Commission of the Republic of Korea

Press Releases
Next   226,162 Overseas Voters Confirmed for the final
Before NEC to Engage in a Campaign for Encouraging Voter Participation Together with Top-ranked Korean Stars